Oct 9, 2011

"Choose to be Happy"

The other night, I attended a forum put together by the School of Music that talked about things to consider for when we graduate: graduate school, employment, where to be, how to save, etc.  Dr. Martin's portion of the evening talked about good things to know for life in general.  He opened and closed with the phrase, "Choose to be happy."  He did not expand upon it much, but it was a pretty simple statement.  Afterwards, I looked over the notes I had taken and that phrase kept jumping out at me.  Too many times I have chosen one thing over another because it was the easier thing to do at the time.


Happiness is defined as good fortune; pleasure; contentment; joy.  It's antonym is misery.  How many times have we gone through the day being miserable?  Or feeling miserable?  Well, if this is the case for more days than just the every-so-often off-day, then we are not doing what makes us happy.  


At this point in my own life, pursuing a music education degree, I feel both happy and miserable... More like I am happy to be working towards a more fulfilling happiness.  Every day, I am happy with the choice I have made to be at Texas State University, pursue a music education degree, and take on these challenges fully.  Regarding my relationships, I am overwhelmed with happiness.  My parents could not be more loving, caring, and understanding than they are and have been throughout my college career.  My sister and I have gotten to that point where we are actually friends now.  I could not as for a more compassionate, kind-hearted, selfless boyfriend to have spent the past 3 years with and who I will be happy with for a very, very, very long time.  I have, undoubtedly, the best friends in the world that put my happiness on their list of important things.  And of course, I am beyond blessed to have a God that makes me so incredibly happy.


I have chosen to worship my God.  I have chosen to pursue music education at Texas State University.  I have chosen to cultivate the relationships I have with the people in my life.  I can't say that I take credit for my own happiness - that is the Lord's doing, as he has pointed me in those directions - but I have made the decisions for myself.  I encourage you to seek happiness.  What is life without happiness?  Futile.  Don't choose futility.  Choose happiness.  Pursue happiness.  Pursue the life you want.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blogs. They inspire me. You are such a great speaker(: love you and miss you(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last paragraph. I will choose to be happy; I will drink my coffee every morning and not be cranky :D

    ReplyDelete