Oct 5, 2011

Who Really Matters

With every frustration, every sense of anger, and every tear, it is important to (after all the venting) step back and think about what and who truly has an impact on us and our lives.  I am, without doubt, a people-pleaser.  I like for everybody to be happy and I feel as though I should have control over their sense of happiness.  However, this is completely unrealistic.

Off the top of my head, I can name five people who's opinion of me matters: God, my parents, Nathaniel, Dr. Beatty, and Mr. Goodwin.  On the other end of the spectrum, I could name five people who's opinion of me is unimportant and that (in a few years) won't matter one bit.  When you feel as though you have messed up and who that has affected and how it has affected them, consider what that person thinks.  Then consider if that even matters.  It's not to say that pleasing people is not important, because if that person is your boss, your coworker, or your future boss or coworker, then they matter.

Today was tough.  I altered several people's opinion of me today.  I was incredibly upset afterwards.  Then, I stepped back for a moment.  I reasoned with myself.  I talked it out to other people, trying to be as completely un-biased as possible.  Each time I thought, I realized that what happened changed somebody else - not me.  In the future, today does not change anything.  I know that at the end of the day, I am who I am, I believe what I believe, and I will stick to my guns no matter what happens with any given person as long as the people who matter to me, think of me in the matter that I want them to.

So, we need to go about this by categorizing and prioritizing: what you want people to think about you and which people need to think that.  It is okay to have an initial reaction.  It is okay to get angry or sad or frustrated - that's what makes us human.  But venting is not enough, we must come to the logical conclusion that we are human, are not perfect, and can not please everybody.  But, truly, who needs to please every one they come across?

No comments:

Post a Comment