Oct 3, 2011

True Value

I know it's been a few days since I've posted, but it's because I have felt like in these posts I just keep repeating myself.  So, for this post I have decided to post my Upper Level Competency Review essay.  It is suppose to explain the following:
  • Why do you choose to enter the profession?
  • What is your developing philosophy?
  • What do you consider your strengths and weaknesses?
  • What are your goals for your career and your ultimate contribution to the profession?

For those of you that do not know the the Upper Level Competency Review (ULCR) is, it is essentially a check-in for music majors that is done by a board and includes an interview, a look at your grades, this essay, your jury for that semester, and a number of proficiency tests that must be passed.  Essentially, this decides whether or not you get to continue to pursue a music degree.  In this essay, I stick to the foundations of my beliefs and leave it for judgement.  Feel free to comment on it, make suggestions, etc.


Music is like breath – it is necessary for existence.  My parents were never ones to preach that philosophy, but they were always eager to mention the fact that they met in band.  As a result, from an early age I wanted to be in band.  At this point in time, I had no idea that I would eventually wind up majoring in music education.  While in band, I continuously exceeded the expectations for the class and was always seeking a musical challenge.  When I went into high school, I developed an even deeper understanding and appreciation of music.  It inspired me to be more dedicated, to set higher goals for myself in all aspects of life, and it taught me how to be both a leader and a follower.  As I went through high school, I realized that I wanted everybody to feel inspired, challenged, and brave like I did.  My way of doing this?  Teach.  Not only did my own feelings push me towards majoring in music education, but my high school band director encouraged me to head in this direction as well.  Mr. Allan Goodwin was the toughest teacher I ever had, and yet, I was always eager to accept, meet and, exceed the goals he set for me.  He was the one who encouraged me to test my skills in a leadership position and challenged me, not just musically, but mentally and emotionally.  I learned so much about life and about myself throughout my years under the direction of Mr. Goodwin. 
            I feel as though Mr. Goodwin taught me everything that a music teacher should: how to challenge myself, how to overcome failure, how to set goals, how to be a leader, how to be a follower, and how to obtain self-control in any situation.  All of these skills that a student of music will learn about and (hopefully) experience are what should be taught in music education within the school system.  Music is not about earning a one at UIL or coming in first at All-State.  Music is about more than just notes on the page.  Music is about learning and working as an individual and as a group towards a common goal.  It is not just those that have the talent to be in a music program that deserve to learn these life-changing lessons, but those that need them. 
I believe that I possess the necessary characteristics to be an effective and influential music educator.  I am understanding of the struggles of academics and home life.  I am both experienced and educated in the subject which I plan to teach.  I also believe that I possess the ability to control just about any situation which may arise.  I can bring control to chaos, laughter to a dead room, and seriousness to a much too relaxed group.  These characteristics are great for a teacher of any subject, and as a music educator, I am not just a teacher of music, but also of life.  Some areas in which I could use improvement include patience and the willingness to step back from a frustrating situation.  I intend to increase my patience by putting myself in situations in which I am not the person in charge.  In order to step back from a situation that I am too frustrated with to make forward progress or that is out of my control, I must first do a better job of recognizing when I am in these types of situations.
At this point in my life, with my experiences, I have learned that the fulfillment that comes from band never comes from winning the biggest trophy or beating everybody else at a competition, but it comes from the improvement, struggle, growth, and excitement that comes with the process to get from what we are able to do now to what we are able to do when we come to the final product.  In my time as a music educator, I hope to instill this mindset – that what you learn through the process is more valuable than any trophy or number – in all of my students.  My ultimate goal is to spread that way of thinking and being by any means, be it leadership training, through my writing, or by way of example.
            Music is a subject and art unlike any other.  And, although music is the true star, the music educator is the one who provides the link between the musician and the music itself.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah. Love this.

    With your permission, I have one suggestion.

    In the sentence that you bring laughter to a dead room, I think I would change the word "seriousness" to "focus".

    No charge,
    Your friend,
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate it! I like that suggestion a lot. I think that by choosing "focus" instead of "seriousness" refers more to the mission one is trying to accomplish rather than trying to achieve a certain mindset (which may not need to change) before ever trying to get to the actual process. Thank you, Frank :)

    ReplyDelete